The Payroll and Accounts Payable Coordinator is responsible for the day-to-day accounts payable, cash and payroll functions. This position reports to the Payroll and Accounts Payable Director and must be a self-starter and independent, detail-oriented team member. This team member is primarily responsible for weekly payroll and related reporting and filing; and accounts payable processing including the codification, data entry and distribution of associated payment(s) of vendor / supplier invoices to cost center managers, and processing of external commissions, claims and capitation. This team member examines the aforementioned source documents to assure proper matching of purchasing and receiving support and that appropriate signature approvals have been obtained prior to payment distribution.
General Duties/Responsibilities (May include but are not limited to):
Accounts Payable Related
• Matches invoices with purchase orders and receiving documents.
• Process and review accounts payable transactions for proper coding and approvals.
• Assist in the development and implementation of goals, policies, priorities, and procedures relating to accounts payable.
• Reconcile vendor statements and research and correct discrepancies.
• Interface with vendors and employees to troubleshoot and resolve accounts payable matters in a timely manner.
• Prepares daily batches of accounts payable invoices for review and ultimate posting by the Payroll and Accounts Payable Director.
• Process manual check disbursements for accounts payable for various entities as requested by the Payroll and Accounts Payable Director.
• Responsible for following up with department heads on invoice approvals and follow up with vendors, as necessary.
• Assist cost center users with questions they may have related to using the Coupa Accounts Payable and Concur Expense Reporting systems, or related reporting questions they may have.
• Monitors credit card and purchase card charges on a daily basis as well as payments to ensure no late payments occur (may be assigned as primary or backup);
• Assist with other assignments and projects as needed (including departmental scanning/filing, etc.).
• Other responsibilities as assigned by Accounting Management.
• Performs bi-weekly payroll processing and off cycle payrolls for all business units;
• Implement and ensure standard reports are used as tools in the payroll processing function to improve efficiency, including as part of timecard review.
• Processes monthly internal commissions, bonuses, etc.
• Processes equity settlements from Etrade in the ADP TotalSource system
• Calculate required changes to exempt employee payroll
• Retrieve and download various reports needed to prepare journals for payroll entries
• Reviews PEO invoices for accuracy and ensure Accounting and the Cash team receive the information timely
• Ensure PTO requests are cleared timely (and prior to locking timecards) and ensure PTO bank is updated for terminations and leaves of absences
• Perform reconciliations of timecards to the upload file and to the payroll register
• Scanning / saving to share drive all payroll back up for paperless work environment; ensure standardization across team members
• Provides training to employees and managers using ADP Totalsource when ADP support efforts have been exhausted
• Maintains employee listing for expense reporting, travel/driving stipends, online travel and other supplemental accounting systems (may be assigned as primary or backup)
• Perform the weekly addition of new hires into the Concur Expense Reporting System using information from HR. Ensure default coding is set up properly so ending accounting will be correct (may be assigned as primary or backup).
• Perform the monthly inactivation of terminated employees using the Census Report (may be assigned as primary or backup).
• Assist Concur Expense Reporting system users with questions they may have.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Minimum Experience:
a. Must have at least 2-3 years of experience working with payroll – specifically with a sophisticated payroll system (e.g. ADP, Insperity, Paychex, UKG, etc.);
b. Must have at least 2-3 years of working with accounts payable – specifically with a sophisticated payroll system (e.g., Great Plains Dynamics, Oracle, SAP, Peoplesoft, etc.).
c. Must have a general understanding of payroll rules and regulations;
d. Experience in complex general ledger account coding and multi-entity company accounts payable is required.
a. Will consider significant relevant experience performing payroll AND accounts payable functions in large organization in lieu of a college degree.
a. Intermediate proficiency in Excel, including creating and using pivot tables, VLookup, etc.
b. Proficiency in Microsoft Word.
c. Basis math skills required (check invoices for math; perform retroactive payroll calculations when needed, etc.)
d. Experience with accounts payable & general ledger accounting systems such as Microsoft Dynamics, Lawson Infor, Peoplesoft, Oracle, Coupa, or SAP preferred, but not required.
e. Must have a minimum of 3-5 years of experience working with payroll – specifically with a sophisticated payroll system (e.g. ADP, Insperity, Paychex, UKG, etc.)
f. Willingness and capability to learn new things quickly.
g. Strong problem analysis and problem-solving skills; Strong follow-up skills ensuring accountability; and clear, concise and considerate communication skills (providing assistance to users).
h. Technology and automated solutions oriented.
i. Well organized with strong attention to detail and analytical skills while maintaining speed in completing work.
j. Efficient working style with strict adherence to deadlines.
k. Friendly customer service demeanor as this position interacts with all levels of management.
l. Able to review payroll timecards in an efficient and complete manner, ensuring compliance to policy and training of supervisors on best practices.
m. Confidentiality is of the utmost importance as the individual will be exposed to personal health and compensation-related information.
4. Work Environment:
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Essential Physical Functions:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee regularly is required to stand, walk, sit, use hand to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
- The employee frequently lifts and/or moves up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.